The largest port city in South Africa, Durban, is busy, vibrant and one of the continent's most popular tourist destinations.
Durban is blessed with balmy weather all year round and has an incredible stretch of beach, the Golden Mile, which boasts wonderful views of the idyllic Indian Ocean and many restaurants and bars to enjoy.[ReadMoreMob] This paradise offer an amazing contrast of cosmopolitan city life with a close proximity to the Valley of a Thousand Hills, where the Zulu drum still beats.
The regeneration of the waterfront area has helped shake off the city’s sleazy image and has given it a new confidence and ambition. This seafront promenade runs from uShaka Marine World and Aquarium to the futuristic Moses Mabhida Stadium.
Durban is also a shopper's paradise with quality shopping malls, craft markets and street bazaars. The fascinating Afro-Indian culture is very evident in the city, and much of the local cuisine has an Indian influence.
Indian Culture in Durban
More Indians reside in Durban than any other country outside of India itself. Glimpses of India are visible in the sights, smells and sounds around the city. Many women still wear sarees, the national dress of India, and Indian cuisine is popular. Try bunny chow, a delicious hollow, half-loaf of bread filled with curry, a quintessential Durban meal.
Durban is a magnet for sun worshippers and surfers and as a result is affectionately known as the surf city. Its beaches extend along the Golden Mile, and include a number of beaches that have achieved the renowned Blue Flag Status, which testifies to their safety, cleanliness, adequate facilities and environmental responsibility and are among the best-managed in the world.
Cruises to Durban
Departs: Southampton • Thu 05 Nov 2020
140 nights • Boudicca • D20GV
- A holiday beyond your wildest dreams, this 140-night voyage to some of the world’s most iconic and intoxicating destinations offers authentic cultures and traditions, amazing wildlife, spectacular scenery and much more.
- Experience an exhilarating Asian exploration, to learn of samurais and geishas in Japan; explore the war-torn history of Vietnam; sample India’s engrossing hustle and bustle; and even celebrate New Year’s Eve in stunning Singapore.
- African adventures include chances to seek-out South Africa’s ‘Big Five’ game and Madagascar’s iconic flora and fauna; explore the colossal Namib Desert; marvel at the Great Pyramid of Giza; and sail the impressive Suez Canal.
From £13,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Santa Cruz de Tenerife • Thu 12 Nov 2020
35 nights • Boudicca • D202829
- Seek-out the world’s largest desert, iconic landmarks and legendary wildlife in Africa; and sample paradise at a collection of idyllic Indian Ocean islands – all in just over a month – on this incredible holiday.
- You can experience an ultimate South African safari; encounter Madagascar’s famous fauna and flora; explore the Indian Ocean’s largest lagoon at Mayotte; and see the Seychelles giant land tortoises.
- You’ll also visit the sun-kissed Canaries and verdant Cape Verde; take in rarely-visited Ascension and St Helena; visit Namibia for the Namib Desert; and stop overnight in captivating Cape Town.
From £5,299ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Cape Town • Thu 03 Dec 2020
14 nights • Boudicca • D2029
- From seeking-out the ‘Big Five’ game on exhilarating safari adventures to exploring coral reefs teeming with colourful flora and fauna, enjoy unforgettable wildlife experiences on this cruise.
- Tour breathtaking South African game reserves; go in search Madagascar’s native wildlife, such as lemurs and chameleons; snorkel the Indian Ocean’s largest lagoon; and see the Seychelles’ giant land tortoises.
- What’s more, this incredible cruise also packs in the iconic landmarks of Cape Town; an opportunity to delve into Durban’s Indian-influenced heritage; and time to relax at picture-perfect beaches.
From £3,399ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Cape Town • Thu 03 Dec 2020
42 nights • Boudicca • D202930
- Chances to encounter incredible wildlife; discover paradise at idyllic islands; taste Far-Eastern culture; and see in the New Year in style make for an unforgettable end to 2020 and start to 2021.
- Seek-out South Africa’s ‘big game’ on exhilarating safari adventures; see Madagascar’s famous fauna and flora; marvel at the Indian Ocean’s largest lagoon in Mayotte; and meet giant land tortoises in the Seychelles.
- Spend Christmas Eve in Colombo and Christmas Day on board Boudicca, before visiting culture-rich Malaysia; being part of Singapore’s spectacular New Year’s Eve celebrations; and uncovering ancient castles, among countless other highlights, in Japan.
From £8,099ppFares Explained | What's Included