Cruising by Spike Island Cruises
Situated at the entrance of Cork Harbour, Spike Island is one of the most important sites in Irish history.[ReadMoreMob] Originally a Monastic settlement in the 7th century, the island became – thanks to its ideal strategic location – and important site for defence and imprisonment, and is now often referred to as ‘Ireland’s Alcatraz’.
It’s dominated by the 18th century Fort Mitchel, which at the time of opening was the largest prison in the world, with capacity for over 2300 prisoners. While you won’t get to head ashore on your scenic cruise by the island – which now is also a protected haven for various species of flora and fauna – to explore the fort itself, you’re sure to think back to the times when the prisoners were taken to face their punishment across the very same waters you’re sailing.
Cruises to Cruising by Spike Island
Scenic Isles, Irish Loughs & Cities • M2312
- Delve into the beauty, culture and history of the ‘Emerald Isle’
- Experience scenic cruising of glacial waterways
- Explore links to Titanic or visit the home of Guinness
Scenic Irish Isles and Cities of Ireland • S2314
- Experience the beauty of rugged islands, islets and waterways in Ireland and Scotland
- Scenic cruise by Tory Island and Arranmore, sail lochs and sounds, see Fingal’s Cave and more
- Visit Cobh, Belfast and Galway, to learn of fascinating history and fairytale stories too
Scenic Irish Isles and Cities of Ireland • S2314BEL
- Visit destinations steeped in Celtic heritage
- Kiss the famous Blarney Stone and uncover Titanic’s history
- Scenic cruise past remote islands and dramatic cliffs