Civitavecchia is the coastal port to the northwest of Rome, and gateway to the Eternal City. This 2nd century port retains many features from its long history, including the Roman Dock and the 16th-century Michelangelo Fort. The National Archaeological Museum exhibits many ancient artefacts, and many visitors discover Terme Taurine, the ruins of a Roman thermal bath.
Principally however, the port is the main access point for Italy’s capital.[ReadMoreMob] From the Colosseum and Forum of Ancient Rome to the city's great masterpieces of Renaissance and Baroque art and architecture, the emblems of past grandeur and wealth provide a grandiose backdrop for the elegant designer boutiques, pavement cafes, inviting trattoria and countless sophisticated pleasures of today's vibrant capital.
The Roman aqueducts were one of the greatest inventions of the Romans – providing clean, safe drinking water and sewer systems. Many of the aqueducts have been destroyed, although three that are still standing and worth a visit are the Arch of Drusus, Porta Maggiore and Nero’s Aqueduct
Exploring Rome presents opportunities to revel in the history and ornamental splendour of legendary ancient sites, including the iconic Colosseum, which once seated over 70,000 spectators; the Forum, the very heart of the ancient city; the Palatine Hill, where the emperors' residences were located for 400 years; and many more.
Vatican City is a tiny city-state and an iconic religious site, home to a plethora of world-famous sites and attractions including the Sistine Chapel, famed for Michelangelo's masterpiece; St Peter's Square; and a selection of iconic museums and art galleries.
Cruises to Civitavecchia (for Rome)
Renaissance Italy, the Adriatic & Amalfi Coast • S2309
- Experience a journey through centuries of history in Italy and the Adriatic
- Delve into the influences of the Renaissance and Venetians
- Revel in the scenic beauty of the Amalfi Coast, Bay of Kotor and more
Discovering the Scenic Amalfi Coast • S2320
- Experience Italy’s beautiful Amalfi Coast to the full, from Borealis and ashore
- Revel in the coastal scenery, discover Roman sites and more, in Amalfi, Sorrento & Salerno
- Away from Amalfi, there are chances to explore ancient Rome and Cagliari