Callao is the Peruvian capital's once-grand port area, which has been brought back to life with culture, cuisine and rich history. An important commercial centre since the colonial era, the city retains many fine colonial mansions and elaborate examples of architecture. The Real Felipe fortress is an impressive building built to defend the city from pirates and was central to Peru’s war of independence.
La Punta, the area around the port, was once home to Lima’s aristocracy.[ReadMoreMob] It has many stately houses and a wonderful seafront promenade lined with delightful cafés. The Military Museum has many fascinating artefacts, including old weaponry, while the Navy Museum is devoted to the country’s naval heritage.
Visitors can take easy transport links from Callao to explore the Peruvian capital, Lima, and learn about the country's dramatic history, from the Inca Empire to the Spanish conquistadors.
The iconic sound of pan flutes, also known as panpipes, is synonymous with South American culture. The distinctive sound is created by blowing through wooden tubes of different lengths tied together and a common instrument in Peruvian folk music.
Loved by locals - so much so that it has its own national holiday on 28th June - Peruvian ceviche is a traditional dish made with raw fish marinated in citrus juice with onion and chilli. Simple but delicious, Peruvian ceviche is a culinary delight.
Cruises to Callao
Latin America with the Chilean Fjords • T2201
- Discover iconic destinations & unforgettable highlights
- Dance the tango in Buenos Aires and much more.
- Scenic cruising by Cape Horn
South America with the Chilean Fjords • T220203
- Visit one of the world’s most intoxication regions
- Discover iconic sights and sounds of Rio de Janeiro
- Experience scenic cruising of astonishing Chilean Fjords
Discovering Patagonia & the Chilean Fjords • T2203
- Join a magical journey of Patagonian explore
- Seek-out mesmerising beauty amongst snow-capped mountains
- Navigate the spectacular glacier-laden Chilean Fjords
Patagonia, Central America & the Panama Canal • T220304
- Scenic cruising of incredible waterways
- Marvel at the spectacular scenes of Patagonia
- Explore historic Costa Rican and Colombian cities
Cultural Cities & Scenic Islands of the Americas • T2204
- Sailing via captivating cities and beautiful islands
- Begin with a memorable sailing of the Panama Canal
- Seek out Cozumel’s Mayan ruins and fauna-rich coral reefs