One of Europe’s oldest cities, Cádiz is known for its palm trees, ancient buildings and maritime history. The Old Town is home to the striking 18th century Cádiz Cathedral and over 100 watchtowers, as well as traditional Tapas bars. Tapa derives from ‘cover’, where one legend has it that bartenders would cover drinks with a saucer to keep out the dust created by the breeze in the city, and would add little treats of olives and ham to entice customers to visit again. Tapas are best served with a glass of Spanish wine from Jerez de la Frontera.
The ancient town of Jerez is Andalusia’s fifth largest city and is most famous for its fortified wine, known as sherry. Some say that the word 'sherry' was a mispronunciation of 'Jerez' by the early British visitors who couldn’t pronounce the Spanish 'J'.
As well as sherry, Jerez is famous for being the home of the revered Andalusian School of Equestrian Art. This iconic institution is devoted to conserving the ancestral abilities of the Andalusian horse and maintaining the classical traditions of Spanish baroque horsemanship.
The myths about the origins of tapas are as varied and plentiful as the flavourings of this bite-sized Spanish morsel. However, many believe this staple of Spanish cuisine originated in Cádiz after a visit from Alfonso XIII. So popular is this style of eating that, today, on most menus, everything is available in a tapas-sized portion.
Cruises to Cádiz
Festive Spain & Portugal • L2233
- Admire the festive light displays of Vigo
- Browse Funchal’s Christmas market
- Dock within one mile of each city centre
Experience the Traditions of Spain & Portugal • L2316
- Experience Spanish and Portuguese traditions
- Make Pasteis de Nata in Lisbon, and dance Flamenco in Cádiz
- Take in historical and cultural highlights
Be the first to hear about our latest cruise deals by signing up to receive our emails.
Touring Southern Spain, Portugal & Gibraltar • S2322
- Visit destinations renowned for their historic connections to navigation and exploration
- Uncover the influences of Columbus in Cádiz, and take in Lisbon’s maritime monuments
- Learn of La Coruña’s seafaring heritage, plus visit Malaga and Gibraltar
Spain & Portugal with the Fleet in Funchal • T2328
- Be part of the ‘Fred. Olsen Fleet in Funchal’ event
- Delve into the history of ‘Hispania’ in cities linked to the Romans
- See ancient amphitheatres and ortifications
The Canary Islands with the fleet in Funchal • L2324
- Be part of the ‘Fred. Olsen Fleet in Funchal’ celebrations
- Discover the beaches and landscapes of the Canaries
- Enjoy time in Madeira, Lisbon and Cádiz
Discovering the Ancient Mediterranean • L2325
- Learn of the history of ancient trading routes
- You’ll see the influences of past ruling powers
- Take in an abundance of historic sites