The charming town of Bodø is the northernmost point on the stunning Kystriksveien Coastal Route and home to the world's strongest maelstrom, Saltstraumen. The port represents the northern terminus of Norway's railway system, and is ideal for year round bird spotting as it boasts the world’s densest population of sea eagles.
The curious experience of the midnight sun from the summit of Mount Ronvikfjellet is a sight to behold, while strolling along Bodø’s chalk-white beach, or enjoying some shopping in the bustling town centre, are popular pastimes. [ReadMoreMob]
The majestic stained-glass windows and delicate tapestries within Bodø Cathedral make for a particularly worthwhile trip. Bodø’s historic past can be uncovered by visiting one of the town’s museums, and the Aviation Museum offers a glimpse into Norway’s aviation history. Exhibits include famous aircraft such as the Supermarine Spitfire, Tiger Moth and F-86 Sabre.
Possibly the strongest tidal current in the world, 400 million cubic metres of water surge through this channel with every tide, reaching speeds up to 20 knots and forming huge maelstroms.
Cruises to Bodø
In Search of the Northern Lights • T2202A
- See dramatic landscapes on this Arctic discovery
- Join in the celebrations of Sami National Day
- Visit the iceberg-shaped Arctic Cathedral in Tromso
In Search of the Northern Lights • T2205
- Get closer to the wintertime scenes of Arctic Norway
- Seek out the remarkable Aurora Borealis
- A cable car ride to the peak of Mount Storsteinen
Arctic Fjords & Midnight Sun • L2215
- Cross the Arctic Circle
- Experience the Midnight Sun phenomenon
- Sail through size-restricted Trollfjord and Nordfjorden
Northern Lights • S2228A
- Visit Tromsø for a chance to seek-out Aurora Borealis amongst the Arctic wilderness, away from light-polluted skies.
- Experience a taste of Sami community life at Alta; and explore the unique 'blue town' of Sortland.
- Scenic cruise by Torghatten and the Seven Sisters mountains too.
Borealis Searches for the Northern Lights • S2301
- Search for the Northern Lights in Alta & Tromso
- Spend time with traditional Sami people in the wilderness
- Sail across the Arctic Circle
In Search of the Northern Lights • T2304
- Enjoy a thrilling huksy ride from Bodø
- Seek out the breath-taking Northern Lights in Alta
- Explore the 'Gateway to the Arctic' city of Tromsø
In Search of the Northern Lights in Nine Nights • T2306
- Spend time with the fascinating Sami people in Alta
- Take the cable car up Mount Storsteinen in Tromsø
- Revel in the stunning scenery in Bodø