Bassens (for Bordeaux) Cruises
Widely regarded as the world’s wine capital, the graceful French city of Bordeaux offers far more than just vineyards and claret. Having shaken off its rather sleepy image over the last few years, Bordeaux is now amongst France's most exciting and dynamic cities. While a sizeable number of the city's visitors are still enticed by the chance to taste what makes this wine-rich region so special, Bordeaux has many other surprising secrets that you can discover on a visit from the nearby port of Bassens.
Stretched along the banks of the Garonne River, this City of Art and History is home to 362 historic monuments, with some buildings dating back to Roman times.[ReadMoreMob] Awarded UNESCO World Heritage Site status in 2007, Bordeaux’s historic centre is home to the Gothic Cathédrale Saint-André, 18th century mansions and popular art museums, such as the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Bordeaux, and many other impressive treasures to discover. This urban and architectural ensemble includes public gardens that line the curving river quays, and the imposing Place de la Bourse, which overlooks the reflecting pool, [ReadMoreDesk]Miroir d’Eau. The Place des Quinconces, one of the largest squares in Europe, is a fine space to while away some hours.
Alternatively, other distractions include barista-run coffee shops, delicious food trucks, and exceptional restaurants and, of course, more fine wine than can ever be possibly drunk.
Cruises to Bassens (for Bordeaux)
Rivers & Cities of France • T2117
- A mesmerising journey of discovery
- Sail the picturesque Gironde and Garonne rivers
- Visit the beautiful coast of Brittany for a rare call at Belle Ile
Island & Inland Wonders of France & Spain • S2116
- Enjoy an authentic taste of France and Spain
- Visit Bordeaux, famed for its Merlot and Saint Emilion wine
- On Brittany’s coast, tour to the famed town of Cancale
French Cities & Spain • S2122
- A full-flavoured cruise of French cities and scenic cruising
- Borealis sails the Gironde and Garonne rivers to Bassens
- Visit La Pallice for La Rochelle, and St Malo on the Brittany coast