Bassens (for Bordeaux) Cruises
Widely regarded as the world’s wine capital, the graceful French city of Bordeaux offers far more than just vineyards and claret. Having shaken off its rather sleepy image over the last few years, Bordeaux is now amongst France's most exciting and dynamic cities. While a sizeable number of the city's visitors are still enticed by the chance to taste what makes this wine-rich region so special, Bordeaux has many other surprising secrets that you can discover on a visit from the nearby port of Bassens.
Stretched along the banks of the Garonne River, this City of Art and History is home to 362 historic monuments, with some buildings dating back to Roman times.[ReadMoreMob] Awarded UNESCO World Heritage Site status in 2007, Bordeaux’s historic centre is home to the Gothic Cathédrale Saint-André, 18th century mansions and popular art museums, such as the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Bordeaux, and many other impressive treasures to discover. This urban and architectural ensemble includes public gardens that line the curving river quays, and the imposing Place de la Bourse, which overlooks the reflecting pool, [ReadMoreDesk]Miroir d’Eau. The Place des Quinconces, one of the largest squares in Europe, is a fine space to while away some hours.
Alternatively, other distractions include barista-run coffee shops, delicious food trucks, and exceptional restaurants and, of course, more fine wine than can ever be possibly drunk.
Cruises to Bassens (for Bordeaux)
Departs: Dover • Thu 08 Apr 2021
9 nights • Bolette • T2107
- Step on board Bolette for this nine-night French and Spanish city discovery and you’ll unravel the rewards of some of Europe’s most beautiful, culture rich regions.
- Visiting northern Spain’s Galicia, Asturias and Cantabria regions, you can marvel at unspoilt coastal scenes, uncover prehistoric caves, sample traditional regional flavours, see famous landmarks and much more.
- In France, visit the beautiful Normandy region and historic Honfleur; and take the chance to explore the rich history and wine heritage of enchanting Bordeaux.
From £1,249ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Fri 02 Jul 2021
9 nights • Bolette • T2117
- Take in the scenic and city delights of gorgeous French region as Bolette guides you on a mesmerising journey of discovery.
- Sail the picturesque Gironde and Garonne rivers to Bassens and visit Bordeaux, where you can immerse yourself in local arts, culture and world-famous wine heritage.
- Visit the beautiful coast of Brittany for a rare call at Belle Ile and to discover the centuries-old treasure of St Malo or Mont St Michel; and, in Normandy, revel in the historic highlights of Cherbourg.
From £1,299ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Mon 19 Jul 2021
10 nights • Borealis • S2116
- Enjoy an authentic taste of France and Spain, visiting regions and destinations selected for links to famous food and drink.
- Visit Bordeaux, famed for its Medoc, Merlot and Saint Emilion wines – an overnight stay allows for a tour to an enchanting family-run vineyard, and see the city’s iconic sights too.
- On Brittany’s beautiful coast, you can tour to the famed oyster town of Cancale; while in Spain, Getxo and Avilés offer traditional Basque tapas, Rioja wines and sweet Asturian cider.
From £1,499ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Sun 26 Sep 2021
11 nights • Borealis • S2122
- A full-flavoured cruise adventure combining French city discovery and scenic cruising with an authentic taste of northern Spain.
- Borealis sails the picturesque Gironde and Garonne rivers to Bassens, your gateway to UNESCO-listed Bordeaux and some of France’s most famous countryside vineyards.
- Visit La Pallice for tours to historic La Rochelle too, and St Malo on the beautiful Brittany coast, plus delight in authentic flavours of Spain with traditional pintxos, Rioja and cider in Avilés and Getxo.
From £1,599ppFares Explained | What's Included