Arica serves as a vital trade link between Chile, Peru and neighbouring Bolivia. However, this pretty city is much more than just a commercial centre. Away from the busy docks you’ll discover mile-upon-mile of dark-brown beaches ideal for making the most of the year-round warmth. Looking out across the Pacific Ocean, you’re sure to see thrill-seeking surfers challenging themselves against the tide, even as the sun begins to set.
Venturing even further from the coast and into the city itself is just as rewarding, with an abundance of highlights and attractions to discover.[ReadMoreMob] The Museo de Sitio Colón 10 is a must-visit to see 32 incredibly well-preserved Chinchorro mummies in situ; while the Gothic-style Catedral de San Marcos is one of Arica’s most iconic structures. Designed by Parisian engineer Alexandre Gustave Eiffel – before he designed the world-famous Eiffel Tower – and built in his Paris shop in the 1870’s, the cathedral was shipped around the world and assembled where it stands today. [ReadMoreDesk]
Don’t miss the spectacular views on offer from El Morro, an imposing 110-metre-high rock which overlooks the city and the busy port, too. Here you’ll also find the fascinating Museo Histórico y de Armas, which tells the story of a battle between the Chilean and Peruvian armies that took place atop El Morro in 1880.
Cruises to Arica
Latin America with the Chilean Fjords • T2201
- Discover iconic destinations & unforgettable highlights
- Dance the tango in Buenos Aires and much more.
- Scenic cruising by Cape Horn
South America with the Chilean Fjords • T220203
- Visit one of the world’s most intoxication regions
- Discover iconic sights and sounds of Rio de Janeiro
- Experience scenic cruising of astonishing Chilean Fjords
Discovering Patagonia & the Chilean Fjords • T2203
- Join a magical journey of Patagonian explore
- Seek-out mesmerising beauty amongst snow-capped mountains
- Navigate the spectacular glacier-laden Chilean Fjords
Patagonia, Central America & the Panama Canal • T220304
- Scenic cruising of incredible waterways
- Marvel at the spectacular scenes of Patagonia
- Explore historic Costa Rican and Colombian cities