Antsiranana (Diego Suarez) Cruises
Antsiranana, aka Diego Suarez, is a port city in northern Madagascar in Antsiranana Bay, a vast natural harbour made up of several smaller bays.
Smothered with French colonial charm, Diego’s streets are lined with traditional architecture and are home to large markets selling an abundance of fine local produce and hand-made crafts. [ReadMoreMob] The pace is slow and nearly everything shuts between 12pm and 3pm while locals indulge in long siestas.
Away from the bustle of the markets, the lighthouse, cathedral and the ruins of the Hôtel de la Marine are worth exploring. The delightful local delicacies in Diego’s many fine restaurants can also be enjoyed. Alternatively, a trip to the island’s breath-taking north coast offers stunning views of Sugarloaf Mountain or the eponymous Island, which is considered sacred by locals. South of the city, the untouched landscapes of two large National Parks are waiting to be discovered. [ReadMoreDesk]
While the waterfalls, crater lakes and breadth of fauna and flora at Amber Mountain National Park are wonderful, a sighting of the Madagascar Fish Eagle – one of the world’s rarest birds of prey – is the much sought after prize. At Ankarana Special Reserve, birds, lemurs and the 150-million-year-old Jurassic limestone formations are the key highlights.
Amber Mountain National Park
Nestled near the northern tip of Madagascar, this mountainous park rises out of the drier surrounding landscape, has a cool climate and some wonderfully distinct scenery.
Taking its name from the resin that is found in the local trees, it is said to hold medicinal qualities and is still used by the local Malagasy people. Waterfalls, rainforests and volcaniclakes surround you, alongside an impressive level of biodiversity and plenty of endemic species of flora and fauna.
This sandstone formation made of small sandstone needles, formed and changed during land and mudslides after heavy rain are one of Madagascar’s most breathtaking natural wonders. Located about 65km southeast of Diego, the pinnacles are made of laterite, an iron dioxide-rich soil with an intense red brick colour. The landscape is constantly changing with old needles eroding and new ones appearing from beneath, so, as an erosion monument, Tsingy Rouge is a constantly changing phenomenon.
Cruises to Antsiranana (Diego Suarez)
Departs: Southampton • Thu 05 Nov 2020
140 nights • Boudicca • D20GV
- A holiday beyond your wildest dreams, this 140-night voyage to some of the world’s most iconic and intoxicating destinations offers authentic cultures and traditions, amazing wildlife, spectacular scenery and much more.
- Experience an exhilarating Asian exploration, to learn of samurais and geishas in Japan; explore the war-torn history of Vietnam; sample India’s engrossing hustle and bustle; and even celebrate New Year’s Eve in stunning Singapore.
- African adventures include chances to seek-out South Africa’s ‘Big Five’ game and Madagascar’s iconic flora and fauna; explore the colossal Namib Desert; marvel at the Great Pyramid of Giza; and sail the impressive Suez Canal.
From £13,999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Santa Cruz de Tenerife • Thu 12 Nov 2020
35 nights • Boudicca • D202829
- Seek-out the world’s largest desert, iconic landmarks and legendary wildlife in Africa; and sample paradise at a collection of idyllic Indian Ocean islands – all in just over a month – on this incredible holiday.
- You can experience an ultimate South African safari; encounter Madagascar’s famous fauna and flora; explore the Indian Ocean’s largest lagoon at Mayotte; and see the Seychelles giant land tortoises.
- You’ll also visit the sun-kissed Canaries and verdant Cape Verde; take in rarely-visited Ascension and St Helena; visit Namibia for the Namib Desert; and stop overnight in captivating Cape Town.
From £5,299ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Cape Town • Thu 03 Dec 2020
14 nights • Boudicca • D2029
- From seeking-out the ‘Big Five’ game on exhilarating safari adventures to exploring coral reefs teeming with colourful flora and fauna, enjoy unforgettable wildlife experiences on this cruise.
- Tour breathtaking South African game reserves; go in search Madagascar’s native wildlife, such as lemurs and chameleons; snorkel the Indian Ocean’s largest lagoon; and see the Seychelles’ giant land tortoises.
- What’s more, this incredible cruise also packs in the iconic landmarks of Cape Town; an opportunity to delve into Durban’s Indian-influenced heritage; and time to relax at picture-perfect beaches.
From £3,399ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Cape Town • Thu 03 Dec 2020
42 nights • Boudicca • D202930
- Chances to encounter incredible wildlife; discover paradise at idyllic islands; taste Far-Eastern culture; and see in the New Year in style make for an unforgettable end to 2020 and start to 2021.
- Seek-out South Africa’s ‘big game’ on exhilarating safari adventures; see Madagascar’s famous fauna and flora; marvel at the Indian Ocean’s largest lagoon in Mayotte; and meet giant land tortoises in the Seychelles.
- Spend Christmas Eve in Colombo and Christmas Day on board Boudicca, before visiting culture-rich Malaysia; being part of Singapore’s spectacular New Year’s Eve celebrations; and uncovering ancient castles, among countless other highlights, in Japan.
From £8,099ppFares Explained | What's Included