Located close to a host of beach resort towns, Alicante is considered by many – somewhat unfairly – as a mere gateway to Spain’s better-known holiday destinations. A dynamic, pretty and interesting city in its own right, Alicante is well worth exploring and enjoying, with plenty to see, do and experience within the city centre and beyond.
With a stunning harbour, beautiful beaches and vast promenades to stroll along, Alicante is the perfect place to simply relax and soak up the Mediterranean sun. There are numerous cafes and restaurants, and a number of monuments and archaeological sites in the Old Quarter and along the vast scenic walking trails around the city.[ReadMoreMob] Be sure to visit Santa Barbara Castle, a 12th century fortress built 166 metres above the city at the top of Mount Benacantil, to admire stunning views and explore the battle hardened fortifications.
For a little local culture, head to the Archaeological Museum of Alicante or perhaps admire the work of famous artists such as Picasso and Dali at the Asegurada Museum of Modern Art.
Palm Tree Forest
The city of Elche is UNESCO-listed on two counts, one of which is for being home to Europe’s largest palm groves, which were thought to be originally planted by the Phoenicians. Look out for the candelabra-shaped Imperial Palm with its eight arms.
Horchata and fartons
Chufa (tiger nut) is used to make a sweet, milky drink called horchata, best consumed at a 'horchateria' accompanied by spongy, sugary fingers called fartons. The tiger nut is good for health due to its high levels of iron and potassium.
Cruises to Alicante
Mediterranean Discovery with Malta • T2127
- A Mediterranean discovery combining visits to culture-rich, historic cities and beautiful sun-kissed islands
- Explore the Old Quarter of Alicante or relax on the beaches; and seek-out Cartagena’s medieval marvels.
- See the iconic delights of Malaga, including the art of Pablo Picasso, and La Coruna, plus experience the best of Malta’s capital, Valletta.
Exploring Spain & Mallorca with Malta • S2125
- Discover some of Spain’s most captivating destinations.
- Catch some sunshine on beautiful Balearic beaches.
- See Cartagena’s medieval marvels.
French Riviera & Monaco Grand Prix • T2211
- Experience the Monaco Grand Prix
- Explore the glitzy French towns of Cannes & Bandol
- Visit Spanish towns of Barcelona & Alicante