Located in Northern Iceland, Akureyri is a beautiful town best known for its spectacular landscapes, lush vegetation and its diverse wildlife. On your journey to Akureyri you’ll sail through the longest fjord in Iceland, Eyjafjordur, a wonderful prelude to your time on shore.
The perfect destination for nature lovers, the waters surrounding the town are teaming with rare, native species such as humpback whales, minke whales, white-beaked dolphins and porpoises to go in search of. [ReadMoreMob]Within reach on tours are incredible natural wonders too, such as the Godafoss ‘Waterfall of the Gods’ and Lake Myvatn.
In the town centre, there are many museums, galleries and exhibitions to discover and enjoy, offering an insight into the diverse culture of Akureyri and Iceland as a whole. ‘Arts Alley’ – the main street that runs directly through the town – is Akureyri’s cultural hub. Here you will find the very best galleries, exhibitions and restaurants that the town has to offer.
The northern part of Iceland is known as the whale watching capital of Northern Europe. When visiting Akureyri take the chance to go in search of these magnificent mammals. Look out for blue, fin, humpback, minke and sei whales, all native to this area. Brimming with wildlife, the fjord offers breathtaking mountain scenery, lush green valleys and a unique coastal landscape peppered with small farms and villages.
12 metres high and 30 metres wide, the ‘Waterfall of the Gods’ is one of the most striking waterfalls in Iceland. It feeds into the river Skjalfandafljot, which is 180km long – the fourth largest in Iceland – and runs across a 7,000-year-old lava field.
From the Askja strato volcano and Dyngjujökull Glacier to the Kverkfjöll mountain range and Ásbyrgi canyon, one of Iceland's youngest lava fields at the Krafla volcano area, Akureyri is bursting with a number of geological wonders.
Cruises to Akureyri
Departs: Newcastle • Wed 06 May 2020
9 nights • Balmoral • L2007
- You’re in for an authentic snapshot of Iceland on this invigorating nine-night adventure, taking in four diverse destinations and inspirational natural wonders on three sides of this spectacular country.
- The wonders of the ‘Golden Circle’, including Gullfoss Waterfall and gushing geysers, await from Reykjavik, while Ísafjörður is your starting point for kayaking tours in the gorgeous Westfjords.
- Enjoy a taste of rural Icelandic life in the fishing village of Eskifjörður; and, for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, embark on a magical whale watching adventure from breathtaking Akureyri.
From £1,399ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Sat 20 Jun 2020
13 nights • Boudicca • D2015
- From whales to geysers, waterways to geothermal pools, the thrilling diversity of Iceland awaits your discovery as you explore three sides of this astonishing country on an incredible 13-night voyage.
- On the west coast, stop overnight in Reykjavik – gateway to the wonders of the Golden Circle and the Blue Lagoon; and visit Ísafjörður, for a chance to observe charming puffins on a tour to Vigur Island.
- Along the north coast, divert deep into Eyjafjörður all the way to Akureyri, starting point for exhilarating whale watching adventures; and then savour the stunning scenery of Seyðisfjörður in the east.
From £1,899ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Rosyth (Edinburgh) • Mon 29 Jun 2020
10 nights • Balmoral • L2014
- An epic circumnavigation of Iceland, this exhilarating adventure packs-in unmissable opportunities to marvel at awe-inspiring natural wonders, dramatic landscapes; magical wildlife; and much more.
- Visit Reykjavik, gateway to the Golden Circle’s famous waterfalls and powerful geysers; observe puffins at Vigur Island on a boat tour from Ísafjörður; and savour Seyðisfjörður’s stunning scenery.
- For an experience of a lifetime, you can embark on a magical whale watching tour from Akureyri, to see humpback and minke whales, dolphins and porpoises living freely in their natural habitat.
From £1,599ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Mon 27 Jul 2020
9 nights • Black Watch • W2021
- For a spellbinding taste of one of the world’s most awe-inspiring countries, Black Watch will guide you on an epic adventure, taking in remarkable destinations and waterways on three sides of Iceland.
- Dramatic landscapes, inspirational wonders and wildlife, and magical experiences are yours to savour, from powerful waterfalls and geysers to stunning sea bird islands and whale watching tours.
- See the wonders of the ‘Golden Circle’, such as the mighty Gullfoss, from Reykjavik; observe puffins at Vigur Island; go in search of humpback and minke whales in their natural habitat; and much more.
From £1,699ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Tue 01 Sep 2020
11 nights • Black Watch • W2025
- On an 11-night voyage of epic proportions, you’ll take in a selection of the most spectacular scenic wonders and amazing, diverse wildlife for which Iceland is rightly renowned for.
- Uncover the gems of the Golden Circle, including the mighty Gullfoss Waterfall and gushing geysers, from Reykjavik; and experience scenic cruising by Hornstrandir, Drangaskörð and Dinosaur Rock.
- Visiting Akureyri offers a chance to embark on a once-in-a-lifetime whale watching adventure; while a taste of Eastfjord life in stunning Seyðisfjörður and Eskifjörður is sure to leave you enchanted.
From £1,699ppFares Explained | What's Included