Located in Northern Iceland, Akureyri is a beautiful town best known for its spectacular landscapes, lush vegetation and its diverse wildlife. On your journey to Akureyri you’ll sail through the longest fjord in Iceland, Eyjafjordur, a wonderful prelude to your time on shore.
The perfect destination for nature lovers, the waters surrounding the town are teaming with rare, native species such as humpback whales, minke whales, white-beaked dolphins and porpoises to go in search of. [ReadMoreMob]Within reach on tours are incredible natural wonders too, such as the Godafoss ‘Waterfall of the Gods’ and Lake Myvatn.
In the town centre, there are many museums, galleries and exhibitions to discover and enjoy, offering an insight into the diverse culture of Akureyri and Iceland as a whole. ‘Arts Alley’ – the main street that runs directly through the town – is Akureyri’s cultural hub. Here you will find the very best galleries, exhibitions and restaurants that the town has to offer.
The northern part of Iceland is known as the whale watching capital of Northern Europe. When visiting Akureyri take the chance to go in search of these magnificent mammals. Look out for blue, fin, humpback, minke and sei whales, all native to this area. Brimming with wildlife, the fjord offers breathtaking mountain scenery, lush green valleys and a unique coastal landscape peppered with small farms and villages.
12 metres high and 30 metres wide, the ‘Waterfall of the Gods’ is one of the most striking waterfalls in Iceland. It feeds into the river Skjalfandafljot, which is 180km long – the fourth largest in Iceland – and runs across a 7,000-year-old lava field.
From the Askja strato volcano and Dyngjujökull Glacier to the Kverkfjöll mountain range and Ásbyrgi canyon, one of Iceland's youngest lava fields at the Krafla volcano area, Akureyri is bursting with a number of geological wonders.
Cruises to Akureyri
Icelandic Wonders & Wildlife • T2114
- Natural wonders awaiting your discovery
- Visit the famous Blue Lagoon and much more
- Chances to experience fjord kayaking
The Natural Wonders of Iceland • S2114
- Get closer to the awe-inspiring wonders of Iceland
- See the Golden Circle’s Geysir hot springs
- Encounter the native puffins of Vigur Island
Icelandic Wonders & Wildlife • L2122
- Experience the awe-inspiring beauty of Iceland
- Discover stunning scenes out of reach to larger ships
- Witness the waterfalls of the Golden Circle
The Natural Wonders of Iceland • L2125
- An unforgettable circumnavigation of Iceland
- Explore the Golden Circle and see its bubbling geysirs
- Discover remote bird havens and wonderlands of tundra
Exploring the Arctic with the Midnight Sun • T2121
- A rare opportunity to see the Midnight Sun in Norway
- Be mesmerised by small ship scenic cruising
- Make memories ashore, with chances to explore the Qooroq Ice Fjord
Whales, Waterfalls & Volcanic Islands • S2210
- With ORCA, look for species of whale living in Atlantic waters
- Revel in the drama of awe-inspiring scenery
- Delve into history and culture, and explore historic cities