Located in Northern Iceland, Akureyri is a beautiful town best known for its spectacular landscapes, lush vegetation and its diverse wildlife. On your journey to Akureyri you’ll sail through the longest fjord in Iceland, Eyjafjordur, a wonderful prelude to your time on shore.
The perfect destination for nature lovers, the waters surrounding the town are teaming with rare, native species such as humpback whales, minke whales, white-beaked dolphins and porpoises to go in search of. [ReadMoreMob]Within reach on tours are incredible natural wonders too, such as the Godafoss ‘Waterfall of the Gods’ and Lake Myvatn.
In the town centre, there are many museums, galleries and exhibitions to discover and enjoy, offering an insight into the diverse culture of Akureyri and Iceland as a whole. ‘Arts Alley’ – the main street that runs directly through the town – is Akureyri’s cultural hub. Here you will find the very best galleries, exhibitions and restaurants that the town has to offer.
The northern part of Iceland is known as the whale watching capital of Northern Europe. When visiting Akureyri take the chance to go in search of these magnificent mammals. Look out for blue, fin, humpback, minke and sei whales, all native to this area. Brimming with wildlife, the fjord offers breathtaking mountain scenery, lush green valleys and a unique coastal landscape peppered with small farms and villages.
12 metres high and 30 metres wide, the ‘Waterfall of the Gods’ is one of the most striking waterfalls in Iceland. It feeds into the river Skjalfandafljot, which is 180km long – the fourth largest in Iceland – and runs across a 7,000-year-old lava field.
From the Askja strato volcano and Dyngjujökull Glacier to the Kverkfjöll mountain range and Ásbyrgi canyon, one of Iceland's youngest lava fields at the Krafla volcano area, Akureyri is bursting with a number of geological wonders.
Cruises to Akureyri
Departs: Newcastle, United Kingdom • Wed 06 May 2020
9 nights • Balmoral • L2007
Unfortunately, this cruise will not be going ahead as planned. Please click here to find out more >
Sorry, this cruise has been cancelled.
Departs: Dover • Sat 20 Jun 2020
13 nights • Boudicca • D2015
- From whales to geysers, waterways to geothermal pools, the thrilling diversity of Iceland awaits your discovery as you explore three sides of this astonishing country on an incredible 13-night voyage.
- On the west coast, stop overnight in Reykjavik – gateway to the wonders of the Golden Circle and the Blue Lagoon; and visit Ísafjörður, for a chance to observe charming puffins on a tour to Vigur Island.
- Along the north coast, divert deep into Eyjafjörður all the way to Akureyri, starting point for exhilarating whale watching adventures; and then savour the stunning scenery of Seyðisfjörður in the east.
From £1,299ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Rosyth (Edinburgh) • Mon 29 Jun 2020
10 nights • Balmoral • L2014
- An epic circumnavigation of Iceland, this exhilarating adventure packs-in unmissable opportunities to marvel at awe-inspiring natural wonders, dramatic landscapes; magical wildlife; and much more.
- Visit Reykjavik, gateway to the Golden Circle’s famous waterfalls and powerful geysers; observe puffins at Vigur Island on a boat tour from Ísafjörður; and savour Seyðisfjörður’s stunning scenery.
- For an experience of a lifetime, you can embark on a magical whale watching tour from Akureyri, to see humpback and minke whales, dolphins and porpoises living freely in their natural habitat.
From £999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Mon 27 Jul 2020
9 nights • Black Watch • W2021
- For a spellbinding taste of one of the world’s most awe-inspiring countries, Black Watch will guide you on an epic adventure, taking in remarkable destinations and waterways on three sides of Iceland.
- Dramatic landscapes, inspirational wonders and wildlife, and magical experiences are yours to savour, from powerful waterfalls and geysers to stunning sea bird islands and whale watching tours.
- See the wonders of the ‘Golden Circle’, such as the mighty Gullfoss, from Reykjavik; observe puffins at Vigur Island; go in search of humpback and minke whales in their natural habitat; and much more.
From £1,579ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Tue 01 Sep 2020
11 nights • Black Watch • W2025
- On an 11-night voyage of epic proportions, you’ll take in a selection of the most spectacular scenic wonders and amazing, diverse wildlife for which Iceland is rightly renowned for.
- Uncover the gems of the Golden Circle, including the mighty Gullfoss Waterfall and gushing geysers, from Reykjavik; and experience scenic cruising by Hornstrandir, Drangaskörð and Dinosaur Rock.
- Visiting Akureyri offers a chance to embark on a once-in-a-lifetime whale watching adventure; while a taste of Eastfjord life in stunning Seyðisfjörður and Eskifjörður is sure to leave you enchanted.
From £1,899ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Thu 03 Jun 2021
12 nights • Boudicca • D2114
- With natural wonders and wildlife awaiting your discovery amongst Iceland’s incredible landscapes and waterways, this cruise will leave you spellbound throughout.
- An overnight stay in Reykjavik allows ample time to witness the beauty of the Golden Circle’s hot springs and waterfalls on tour, visit the famous Blue Lagoon and much more.
- You’ll also have chances to experience fjord kayaking and embark on an unforgettable whale watching adventure; and see the spectacular sights of Seyðisfjörður, Eyjafjörður and Hrisey Island from Boudicca.
From £1,799ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Fri 02 Jul 2021
9 nights • Black Watch • W2114
- Get closer to the awe-inspiring wonders and wildlife of Iceland than you ever imagined, as you explore three sides of this astonishing land on Black Watch.
- See the Golden Circle’s Geysir hot springs, mighty Gullfoss Waterfall Thingvellir National Park from Reykjavik; or even unwind in the Blue Lagoon’s soothing geothermal baths.
- Encounter the native puffins of Vigur Island and seek-out magnificent whales and dolphins on tours from Ísafjörður and Akureyri; and revel in the sights and sounds of spectacular fjords.
From £1,449ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Rosyth (Edinburgh) • Wed 21 Jul 2021
9 nights • Balmoral • L2122
- Experience the awe-inspiring beauty of Iceland to the full, uncovering a mix of breathtaking lesser-known treasures and some of the country’s most famous wonders.
- Discover stunning scenes out of reach to larger ships – immerse yourself the incredible sights and sounds of Seyðisfjörður, and explore the beautiful Westfjords from Ísafjörður.
- Witness the violent geysirs and waterfalls of the Golden Circle, or relax at the Blue Lagoon on tour from Reykjavik; and experience a whale watching adventure of a lifetime from Akureyri.
From £1,599ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Newcastle • Wed 11 Aug 2021
9 nights • Balmoral • L2125
- Be spellbound by beautiful scenery and spectacular natural wonders on a simply unforgettable circumnavigation of Iceland’s rugged, unspoilt lands.
- Stop overnight in Reykjavik, allowing time to explore the Golden Circle and see its bubbling geysirs and thundering waterfalls; or even bathe at the beautiful Blue Lagoon.
- Discover remote bird havens and wonderlands of tundra, cliffs and waterfalls from remote Ísafjörður and Seyðisfjörður; and experience a whale watching adventure of a lifetime from Akureyri.
From £1,449ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Sat 14 Aug 2021
28 nights • Boudicca • D2121
- Take advantage of a rare opportunity to witness the eerie Midnight Sun in Norway and search for a glimmer of the awe-inspiring Aurora Borealis in Iceland.
- Be mesmerised by small ship scenic cruising, including a glide along glorious Prins Christiansund; an up-close view of the astonishing Tuna Glacier; and a glimpse of volcanic Jan Mayen Island.
- Make memories ashore, with chances to explore the Qooroq Ice Fjord; see Longyearbyen’s wild landscapes; tour Iceland’s Golden Circle; and much more.
From £4,399ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Sat 26 Mar 2022
10 nights • Black Watch • W2207
- Take advantage of an unmissable opportunity to experience the awe-inspiring wonder of Iceland, at a time of year with fewer tourists around and smaller crowds.
- Early spring is the perfect time to seek-out iconic sites such the waterfalls, geysirs and national parks of the Golden Circle, and the famed Blue Lagoon, from Reykjavik.
- There are chances to experience exhilarating fjord kayaking in the Westfjords; go an unforgettable whale watching tour from Akureyri; and maybe even witness the magical Northern Lights.
From £1,399ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Tue 19 Apr 2022
17 nights • Black Watch • W2210
- With the help of ORCA, look out for various species of whale living freely in the deep blue Atlantic waters surrounding the contrasting islands of Iceland and the Azores.
- Revel in the astonishing beauty of Azorean volcanos, crater lakes and vibrant valleys, and the drama of awe-inspiring Icelandic scenery boasting soaring mountains, sheer cliffs and stunning waterways.
- Delve into rich history and culture, with time ashore to explore fascinating historic quarters, traditional fishing ports and an exciting, cosmopolitan capital city.
From £2,499ppFares Explained | What's Included