Visiting the Port of Aalborg
Aalborg's charming historic city, with its fabulously revitalized waterfront, sits serenely on the Limfjord, the impressive body of water that cuts through Jutland.
Often referred to as the Paris of the North, the city's well preserved medieval landmarks such as the 14th century cathedral and the half-timbered Aalborghus Castle – the castle that doesn’t look like a castle –nestle alongside the vibrant bars and cafes of Jomfu Ane Gade, possibly Denmark’s most famous street.[ReadMoreMob]
The Aalborg Historical Museum tells the port’s 1,000-year history, while bathing at the Havnebad outdoor pool, exhibitions at the Utzon Centre and the futuristic House of Music, are all worth visiting. The city’s friendly atmosphere is always a pleasure to explore. Away from the port, the nearby beaches of Bisnap, Møllestenen and Hou South offer a little rest and relaxation.
Danish history tells of the Germanic Iron Age and the Viking Age; Lindholm Høje is home to several burial sites from these important eras. Drifting sand covered the area, preserving the stone circles for hundreds of years, and hundreds of graves and stone ships have been foud here. Many of the archaeological finds are on display in the museum, and these exhibits offer a fascinating insight into Viking life in the region.
One of the most famous architects of our time, Jørn is recognised for one of the most stunning buildings in the world: The Sydney Opera House. The Utzon Centre in Aalborg features similar ideas.
Aalborg is one of Europe's happiest cities and has even been recognised with the title of Europe's Happiest City in recent years.
Cruises to Aalborg
Departs: Newcastle • Fri 15 May 2020
7 nights • Balmoral • L2008
- With four diverse destinations welcoming you to one of the world’s friendliest and happiest countries, you’re in for a wholesome, enriching experience throughout this special Danish adventure.
- Explore Fredericia after friendly locals greet your arrival with a traditional ceremonial welcome; and perhaps enjoy a complementary Danish hotdog in Aalborg before take the day to explore the city.
- Docking close to the centre of Copenhagen allows for an easy exploration Denmark’s capital, with its many attractions, while another warm welcome awaits in Aarhus, a memorable final stop.
From £999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Southampton • Fri 10 Jul 2020
10 nights • Braemar • M2017
- Enjoy a warm welcome at five diverse destinations, where a wealth of highlights and attractions await, and discover why Denmark is one of the world’s friendliest countries on this uplifting cruise.
- Fall for the charms of Aabenraa; uncover Aalborg’s impressive mix of architecture after helping yourself to a free Danish hot dog; and revel in a ceremonial welcome from friendly locals in Fredericia.
- You’ll also dock close to the highlights of Copenhagen, including the Little Mermaid and spectacular Royal residences; and have an opportunity to delight in traditional Viking displays in Hundested.
From £1,449ppFares Explained | What's Included