The pretty, ancient church site of Ísafjörður, perched on the peninsular of the Westfjords, has been one of Iceland’s busiest and most important fishing and trading centres for over 250 years. With its fine natural harbour, Ísafjörður is set against a backdrop of steep mountains and an arcing spit that extends out into the deep Skutulsfjörður.
The town centre’s preserved timber and tin-clad buildings are a joy to explore.[ReadMoreMob] Easily navigable streets offer warm cafes, bakeries and welcoming family-run restaurants that serve the finest locally caught seafood all year round. The Westfjords Heritage Museum has exhibits on the town’s maritime history, while the Old Hospital contains archives and photography. The occasional music festival in town provides the chance to experience modern Icelandic culture.
Ísafjörður is also the port from which to discover the beautiful landscape of Vigur, The Paradise Island. Only a short 30-minute boat trip away, the island is home to thousands of puffins, arctic terns, eider ducks, black guillemots and more.
Often referred to as the Paradise Island, Vigur is a beautiful island situated approximately 30 minutes from Ísafjörður. The island is renowned for its bird watching opportunities, and is home to puffins, Arctic terns, eider ducks, black guillemots and other species. Vigur also boasts the only windmill in Iceland and the smallest post office in Europe.
Dynjandi is considered one of Iceland’s most spectacular waterfalls. Located in the remote Westfjords, Dynjandi is actually a series of seven waterfalls, with a cumulative height of 100 metres (328 feet). A walk of approximately 30 minutes is worth it to reach the base of the main waterfall – Dynjandi, meaning ‘thunderous’.
Located in the Westfjords, the Hornstrandir Nature Reserve is one of the remotest places in this area of Iceland. Established in 1975, the reserve is home to imposing sea cliffs, mountains and waterfalls. Within the nature, reserve lies Hesteyri, an old fishing village, which was abandoned in the late 1940's. Surrounded by beautiful scenery, Hesteyri is home to traditional wooden houses and an old doctor’s house, which was built in 1901.
Cruises to Ísafjörður
Departs: Newcastle, United Kingdom • Wed 06 May 2020
9 nights • Balmoral • L2007
Unfortunately, this cruise will not be going ahead as planned. Please click here to find out more >
Sorry, this cruise has been cancelled.
Departs: Dover • Sat 20 Jun 2020
13 nights • Boudicca • D2015
- From whales to geysers, waterways to geothermal pools, the thrilling diversity of Iceland awaits your discovery as you explore three sides of this astonishing country on an incredible 13-night voyage.
- On the west coast, stop overnight in Reykjavik – gateway to the wonders of the Golden Circle and the Blue Lagoon; and visit Ísafjörður, for a chance to observe charming puffins on a tour to Vigur Island.
- Along the north coast, divert deep into Eyjafjörður all the way to Akureyri, starting point for exhilarating whale watching adventures; and then savour the stunning scenery of Seyðisfjörður in the east.
From £1,299ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Rosyth (Edinburgh) • Mon 29 Jun 2020
10 nights • Balmoral • L2014
- An epic circumnavigation of Iceland, this exhilarating adventure packs-in unmissable opportunities to marvel at awe-inspiring natural wonders, dramatic landscapes; magical wildlife; and much more.
- Visit Reykjavik, gateway to the Golden Circle’s famous waterfalls and powerful geysers; observe puffins at Vigur Island on a boat tour from Ísafjörður; and savour Seyðisfjörður’s stunning scenery.
- For an experience of a lifetime, you can embark on a magical whale watching tour from Akureyri, to see humpback and minke whales, dolphins and porpoises living freely in their natural habitat.
From £999ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Mon 27 Jul 2020
9 nights • Black Watch • W2021
- For a spellbinding taste of one of the world’s most awe-inspiring countries, Black Watch will guide you on an epic adventure, taking in remarkable destinations and waterways on three sides of Iceland.
- Dramatic landscapes, inspirational wonders and wildlife, and magical experiences are yours to savour, from powerful waterfalls and geysers to stunning sea bird islands and whale watching tours.
- See the wonders of the ‘Golden Circle’, such as the mighty Gullfoss, from Reykjavik; observe puffins at Vigur Island; go in search of humpback and minke whales in their natural habitat; and much more.
From £1,579ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Thu 03 Jun 2021
12 nights • Boudicca • D2114
- With natural wonders and wildlife awaiting your discovery amongst Iceland’s incredible landscapes and waterways, this cruise will leave you spellbound throughout.
- An overnight stay in Reykjavik allows ample time to witness the beauty of the Golden Circle’s hot springs and waterfalls on tour, visit the famous Blue Lagoon and much more.
- You’ll also have chances to experience fjord kayaking and embark on an unforgettable whale watching adventure; and see the spectacular sights of Seyðisfjörður, Eyjafjörður and Hrisey Island from Boudicca.
From £1,799ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Fri 02 Jul 2021
9 nights • Black Watch • W2114
- Get closer to the awe-inspiring wonders and wildlife of Iceland than you ever imagined, as you explore three sides of this astonishing land on Black Watch.
- See the Golden Circle’s Geysir hot springs, mighty Gullfoss Waterfall Thingvellir National Park from Reykjavik; or even unwind in the Blue Lagoon’s soothing geothermal baths.
- Encounter the native puffins of Vigur Island and seek-out magnificent whales and dolphins on tours from Ísafjörður and Akureyri; and revel in the sights and sounds of spectacular fjords.
From £1,449ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Rosyth (Edinburgh) • Wed 21 Jul 2021
9 nights • Balmoral • L2122
- Experience the awe-inspiring beauty of Iceland to the full, uncovering a mix of breathtaking lesser-known treasures and some of the country’s most famous wonders.
- Discover stunning scenes out of reach to larger ships – immerse yourself the incredible sights and sounds of Seyðisfjörður, and explore the beautiful Westfjords from Ísafjörður.
- Witness the violent geysirs and waterfalls of the Golden Circle, or relax at the Blue Lagoon on tour from Reykjavik; and experience a whale watching adventure of a lifetime from Akureyri.
From £1,599ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Newcastle • Wed 11 Aug 2021
9 nights • Balmoral • L2125
- Be spellbound by beautiful scenery and spectacular natural wonders on a simply unforgettable circumnavigation of Iceland’s rugged, unspoilt lands.
- Stop overnight in Reykjavik, allowing time to explore the Golden Circle and see its bubbling geysirs and thundering waterfalls; or even bathe at the beautiful Blue Lagoon.
- Discover remote bird havens and wonderlands of tundra, cliffs and waterfalls from remote Ísafjörður and Seyðisfjörður; and experience a whale watching adventure of a lifetime from Akureyri.
From £1,449ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Dover • Sat 14 Aug 2021
28 nights • Boudicca • D2121
- Take advantage of a rare opportunity to witness the eerie Midnight Sun in Norway and search for a glimmer of the awe-inspiring Aurora Borealis in Iceland.
- Be mesmerised by small ship scenic cruising, including a glide along glorious Prins Christiansund; an up-close view of the astonishing Tuna Glacier; and a glimpse of volcanic Jan Mayen Island.
- Make memories ashore, with chances to explore the Qooroq Ice Fjord; see Longyearbyen’s wild landscapes; tour Iceland’s Golden Circle; and much more.
From £4,399ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Sat 14 Aug 2021
14 nights • Black Watch • W2119
- Astonishing waterways, spectacular landscapes and enchanting settlements await, as Black Watch diverts off the well-beaten tourist routes to bring you the wonders of Greenland’s most remote regions.
- You’ll experience scenic cruising of awe-inspiring Prins Christiansund, and can tour to the remarkable Qooroq Ice Fjord to stimulate your senses with the sight and sounds of magnificent icebergs.
- Explore Qaqortoq and Nanortalik’s for a taste of local history, culture and traditions too; and enjoy two days in Iceland, uncovering world-famous natural wonders.
From £2,399ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Sat 26 Mar 2022
10 nights • Black Watch • W2207
- Take advantage of an unmissable opportunity to experience the awe-inspiring wonder of Iceland, at a time of year with fewer tourists around and smaller crowds.
- Early spring is the perfect time to seek-out iconic sites such the waterfalls, geysirs and national parks of the Golden Circle, and the famed Blue Lagoon, from Reykjavik.
- There are chances to experience exhilarating fjord kayaking in the Westfjords; go an unforgettable whale watching tour from Akureyri; and maybe even witness the magical Northern Lights.
From £1,399ppFares Explained | What's Included
Departs: Liverpool • Tue 19 Apr 2022
17 nights • Black Watch • W2210
- With the help of ORCA, look out for various species of whale living freely in the deep blue Atlantic waters surrounding the contrasting islands of Iceland and the Azores.
- Revel in the astonishing beauty of Azorean volcanos, crater lakes and vibrant valleys, and the drama of awe-inspiring Icelandic scenery boasting soaring mountains, sheer cliffs and stunning waterways.
- Delve into rich history and culture, with time ashore to explore fascinating historic quarters, traditional fishing ports and an exciting, cosmopolitan capital city.
From £2,499ppFares Explained | What's Included