At Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, we cater for both seasoned cruisers and those who are new to a holiday at sea. For our Guests who are cruising for the very first time, we like to offer that extra special attention to ensure that your first cruise will be a memorable experience.
After you have booked your first cruise you will, no doubt, have many questions to which you would like answers. We hope that this comprehensive A-Z guide will answer many of your questions about cruising for the first time.
If you have any specific questions, please either contact your travel agent or Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines Administration on 01473 292444.
“New to Cruising”
Available for cruises departing from UK ports, excluding mini-cruises, our “New to Cruising” programme offers a number of activities that will ensure you are taken special care of as soon as you set foot on board a Fred. Olsen ship:
- Guided Ship Tours – Shortly after boarding there will be a chance to have a guided tour of your cruise ship to help familiarise yourself with your new surroundings. You will also be able to ask any questions whilst being shown around.
- “New to Cruising” Get-Together – Early in your cruise, you will be invited to a get together in one of the lounges so that you can meet key ship staff, your fellow first-time cruisers and hear advice about how to get the best out of your cruise.
- “New to Cruising” Representative – Our “New to Cruising” representative will be on hand each day at a nominated time and place to answer any questions and offer advice about any aspect of your cruise.
If you would like to register for our “New to Cruising” programme, simply contact our Administration Department or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that numbers are limited for this programme, and applications will be accepted in date order.
All our cruise ships have a fully-equipped fitness centre / gym, offering treadmills, rowing machines, exercise bikes and a variety of free weights. A choice of fitness classes to suit most levels is available throughout the cruise, including yoga, aerobics, stretch & tone and pilates, conducted by fully qualified fitness instructors. A small charge is made for some classes. The minimum age to use the fitness centre is 18 years.
Additionally you may wish to ‘smile a mile’ (5 times walking around the deck on Black Watch equals 1 mile) or swim a few lengths of the pool. Black Watch and Boudicca both feature state of the art SwimEX exercise pools. You can practice your golf swing in the nets on board all our vessels.
After your workout, showers are available. You may then wish to relax in the sauna or steam room (Balmoral offers an infrared hot room as opposed to a steam/sauna room).
Fred.Olsen Cruise Lines offers an extensive fly/cruise programme, including regional departures. Should you have any special dietary needs for either airline or cruise travel, it is important that we be advised at the time of booking. Most diets, with the exception of kosher, can be accommodated by the airlines. If you are in need of assistance at the airport it is important that you provide us with specific requirements for both the airport authorities and airline. This is particularly relevant if you are travelling in your own wheelchair.
FOi - Interactive TV
On both Balmoral and Braemar cruise ships, the televisions in rooms and public areas offer our own interactive information channel called FOi. This offers pay-per-view movies, room account (to view your on board spend), shore excursion information (and the facility to book via FOi), up to date information on activities taking place on the ship during your cruise, wine ordering to your table, future cruise destinations (including promotions), Room Shopping Service and all general information relating to your cruise and time on board.
Foreign Currency Service
Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines has appointed City Forex, a specialist provider of foreign exchange services, as preferred supplier of foreign currency to all our ships. City Forex offer a unique service for our guests: order your foreign currency before your cruise departs and it will be available at Reception at the beginning of your cruise*.
Advantages of this service include;
- Highly competitive rates
- No commission charges
- Remove the worry of postal deliveries or collecting high levels of cash from the High Street.
- No exchange rate worries – your rate is fixed at time or order, not collection.
- Buy back guarantee, commission free – any unused currency can be returned on board at the same rate of purchase.
Orders must be made at least 4 working days before cruise departure. Telephone orders can be placed with City Forex 0830 – 1800hrs Mon-Fri. Both Credit and Debit cards can be used as payment, however some may attract a charge levied by the card issuer.
* Service may not be available where cruise embarkation is at a port outside the UK